We are a successful international Architectural Design company and employ over 500 staff in 16 locations throughout the UK Europe and in other international locations. Our business grows through our reputation and our success is dependent on the talents and enterprise of the people we employ.
The legal team currently requires an Associate Legal Counsel with construction experience to assist in the preparation, management and settlement of our commercial contracts and the provision of legal and corporate advice across the business.
- Qualified lawyer (qualified in England) with at least 5 years’ PQE.
- Non-contentious experience in construction industry.
- Mature, robust and confident, with a commercial and pragmatic approach.
- Clear and concise verbal and written communicator.
- Self-sufficient in Outlook and Word.
- Well-organised and comfortable with high volume flow of work.
- Experience of managing contentious work including debt and PI claims.
- In-house experience.
- Experience of advising architects’ or other consultancy practices.
- International experience.
- Experience of working with construction industry standard form contracts, including NEC, JCT and RIBA.
- Contentious experience, including claims handling and dealing with PI insurers.
- Interested in corporate governance.
Advising on contract strategy and contract terms, in particular:
- architect’s appointments
- sub-consultancy agreements
- collateral warranties
- novation agreements
- variations and contract amendments
- working with business colleagues to ensure contract terms comply with company policy and, where there are exceptions, to obtain requisite internal approvals.
Advising on legal/contractual issues during project execution, including:
- Training non-legal staff in understanding contract terms and importance of compliance.
- Advising on contract interpretation.
- Advising on claims management and liaison with PI insurers.
- Advising on other disputes.
Reporting to management, as required on:
- contract terms and status of negotiations.
- disputes and insurance claims
- other issues with legal implications.
Supporting Company Secretary and Senior Legal Counsel in:
- devising and implementing systems designed to ensure legal input is obtained by the business where appropriate.
- developing and implementing procedures designed to ensure that an appropriate contract strategy is used.
- developing and maintaining company policies on contract terms.
- developing and maintaining Legal Department operating procedures.
- developing and maintaining in-house standard form agreements.
- training non-legal staff in understanding contract terms and BM policy on contract terms.
- supervision of junior legal staff.
- devising and maintaining system for storage and retrieval of original contracts.
- devising and maintaining system for storage and retrieval of electronic copies of contracts.
- identifying situations where external lawyers can add value to the business.
- managing external lawyers and ensuring advice received meets the needs of the business.
Location: Weybridge, Surrey.
If you are interested in this vacancy, please send your CV to [email protected] quoting the job title in the subject line.
Broadway Malyan is an equal opportunities employer